Friday, December 31, 2010

Horse Logging

A few years ago, I had an opportunity to obtain some sugar maple trees from a neighbour's woodlot.  They were old and in decline, but what really attracted me was how ugly they were.  They were crooked and lumpy and looked like their bark had melted and rehardened like wax running down a candle.  It was love at first sight.

Commercially, they were good only for firewood, but they had to come out as part of a sustainable forest management plan to allow younger, better quality trees room to grow.

With the assistance of a forestry technician friend and his team of horses, I was able to get the trees out and home to my sawmill.  There was a lot of internal rot but I was able to salvage some solid wood which will be used in a variety of projects.

This fall, I began using some of this wood in preparation for the Christmas gift season.  I'm happy to say that parts of these old trees are now one-of-a-kind cutting boards, salad lifters and chef's helpers rather than being tossed into the stove.

Maybe some of the lumber will be used in my next table or desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment