Friday, September 6, 2013

Willow Adventure

My neighbour had a willow tree he wanted removed.

The base was badly rotted and it was losing branches with each storm.

It also had burls of all sizes on the trunk and branches.

 I offered to take the tree down in exchange for the burls.

Felling the tree was the easy part...

With three men, two chainsaws, one tractor, two trucks, two trailers and seven hours, the cleanup was complete.

The pieces I kept made a substantial pile behind my shop.

The next day, I started debarking.

The burls turned out to be remarkably irregular under the bark.

As I debarked, I set the pieces in the shade to dry slowly.

I have another show in a bit more than a month's time and I hope I'll have some of these ready.

I've never carved willow before, so I'm not sure what I'm getting into.

Stay tuned....the adventure is just beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment